How much does it cost to rent a storage unit in Toronto?
Get Your Free Quote Now
Nowadays, the need for extra storage is rapidly growing and people are often deciding to rent a storage unit. Whether you’re moving house, renovating your home or just running out of space in your apartment, storage units are a great solution. But even though it’s a great choice, some people are hesitant to bite the bullet because they’re afraid of the storage prices. Well, today we’re here to explain how storage pricing works and reassure you that you’ll get good value for your money. We’ll tell you what you can expect to pay moving companies East York for their storage services and what affects their prices. So, stick around if you want to learn more about how much it will cost to rent a storage unit.
What affects the price of renting a storage unit in Toronto
As you might already know, real estate is all about three things – location, location, and location. Therefore, the price is bound to be significantly affected by the address of the storage facility. When it comes to storage units in Toronto, the more central the facility is, the higher price you can expect. On the other hand, if you choose a storage facility that’s farther away from the center, you’ll be able to save some money.
So, it’s up to you to choose which one is more important to you – location or pricing? Try looking up moving companies near me and find out what their storage unit prices are. According to that, you can decide if you want to look at storage elsewhere, or get a unit near your home.
Population and demand
Something that goes hand in hand with location is population. Namely, storage facilities that are located in highly-populated areas tend to be more expensive. The reason is that more people are interested in the units, so high demand results in the high price. So, going for a storage facility in a neighborhood with fewer residents will probably mean paying less as the demand really affects self-storage prices.
Size affects how much it costs to rent storage
Other than the location of the storage facility, there are a few other big factors that affect how much it will cost to rent a storage unit. One of the bigger factors is the size, of course. Most companies that offer moving and storage Toronto have different sizes of storage units. This enables clients to choose the storage that can fit all their items without having to pay for a bigger space than necessary.
Here are some common storage unit sizes:
So, as you can tell, there are plenty of options available. Your choice depends on the amount of stuff you plan on storing, of course. But you should keep in mind that the bigger the storage, the higher the price. So, consult your budget before going for a bigger storage unit than needed.
Amenities – climate control, security
Not all storage facilities are the same. Choosing the right one depends on your needs and priorities. If the safety of your stored items is your top priority, then you want to find a facility with all the right amenities. What does this mean? Well, here are the top two things you should look for: climate control and impeccable security systems.
- Climate-controlled storage units provide the best kind of environment for your belongings. And while that might not be crucial for all things, there are certain items that require this type of storage. Good examples are wooden furniture, antiques, art pieces, electronics, instruments, etc. So, this is a pretty important storage trait, but you should know that climate control means that renting a storage unit costs more in this case.
- Having a good security system in place is crucial if you want your items to remain protected and safe. There are different things the storage provider can do to protect the premises. CCTV cameras, 24h surveillance, guards, gates, etc. Of course, the more protection they provide, the higher the cost of storage units.
The type of storage unit – outdoor or indoor
Now, when you’re looking at storage units, there are plenty of options. As mentioned above, you can find different sizes, different amenities, but also different set-up. Basically, there are two types of storage facilities -outdoor ones and indoor ones.
- Outdoor storage units are the ones you can access from the outside (obviously). This can make things easier as you’re able to drive up to them with your car. However, these types of storage units normally aren’t climate-controlled, so keep that in mind.
- Indoor storage units are safer and usually have climate control. The downside is that they are a little harder to access and move your stuff into/out of them.
When it comes to the question of how much it will cost to rent storage, you should know that outdoor storage units are usually less expensive.
How much will it cost to rent a storage unit in Toronto?
Now that we’ve covered all the different factors that determine the price of a storage unit, it’s time to mention the actual prices. Of course, all moving companies in the city of Toronto offer slightly different prices and there are no universal storage prices. However, we’ll give you some average prices to let you know how much it can cost to rent a storage unit in Toronto.
- 5×15 climate-controlled storage unit: median price – $175
- 10×10 climate-controlled storage unit: median price – $300
- 10×20 climate-controlled storage unit: median price – $347
- 10×25 climate-controlled storage unit: median price – $447
As we’ve said, these are just the average storage costs, but you can definitely find less or more expensive units depending on your needs and budget.
Final thoughts and extra tips
So, as you can tell, the size definitely affects the price of self-storage. Other than that, we urge you to factor in that certain companies offer deals and discounts, one month free, and similar ways of reducing your costs. Also, keep in mind the time you need the storage for – that can also affect how much you pay. One of the biggest tips we can give you is to talk with your residential or office movers and ask them about the costs of their storage services. Get all the info you can to find out how much it will cost to rent a storage unit and if you’d prefer to look elsewhere. The perfect storage facility is out there, you just have to find it.
Movers Toronto were our movers. They were on time, fast, saved us a lot of money and were very careful and respectful. My wife and I have used a lot of moving companies over the years and believe me, these guys are not only the best value out there, you can trust them.