Safety tips for moving IT equipment
Get Your Free Quote Now
Preparing for the move is a nuisance for most people. Packing an entire household of items is not an easy task, even if you are moving just across the street, let alone another city or state. Furthermore, some things are quite hard to pack and prepare for the move. Those are usually fragile items, or bulky and heavy pieces of furniture such as sofas, beds, or kitchen appliances. The same could be said for IT equipment. Tech is pretty delicate, and it can easily get damaged beyond repair during transport. But don’t worry, you have come to the right place. We will show you a few clever tricks for moving IT equipment that could save your day. Additionally, you can always call Toronto moving companies and make your life easier. Stay tuned for more.
Our best advice for moving IT equipment – call professionals
Like we already pointed out, some items are tricky to pack. If you are not sure how to do it, your best bet is to call cheap moving companies Toronto and get packing services. By calling professional packers you ensure the safety of your belongings, but also much more than just that:
- You will also save a lot of time. Professional packers have the best tools at their disposal as well as a wealth of experience in dealing with packing challenges. This means that they will pack your entire home much faster than you could ever do.
- You can concentrate on other tasks. Moving is much more than just packing. It also includes dealing with paperwork, finances, and so forth. When you don’t have to worry about the packing part you will be able to concentrate on other duties.
- You don’t have to risk your health. Moving heavy furniture can lead to back injuries if you are not careful enough. Leave that part to moving companies Etobicoke and don’t risk your health.
Get some packing supplies
If you want to pack and move your IT equipment on your own, you will have to get some packing tools first. Quality packing tools are an essential prerequisite for a successful move. These tools make packing easy, organized, and clean. So, what to get?
- Cardboard boxes in various sizes
- Original boxes if you still have those
- Packing paper
- Packing tape
- Bubble wrap
- Soft fabric materials like old clothes
- Marker pens
- Sticker labels
You can get most of these materials at any hardware store. Another option is to purchase them online. If you have to move in a hurry, and you don’t have enough time to pack on your own, you can always call last minute movers. Professional movers use their own packing materials so you don’t have to worry about that.
Things to do before actually moving IT equipment
When you are dealing with delicate items such as electronic devices, preparation is the key. These devices are quite expensive and fragile, and a single wrong step can lead to catastrophic consequences. So, before you call moving services Toronto, there are a few precautionary steps you should take:
- Back up your data. Before you dismantle and pack everything, you should backup your data. The best way to do it is using cloud services, but an external hard drive could also do the trick.
- Take photos of devices. Like we already pointed out, these devices are expensive, and they can easily get damaged during transport. For this reason, you shout take photos as proof if something actually happens.
- Call an IT expert. Not sure how to disconnect your devices? Then call skilled IT technicians who will disconnect and then reconnect everything back together when the move is over.
- Reconsider moving IT equipment. Maybe this is the right moment to update your devices? If you have a lot of devices to move, you can save significant amounts if you decide not to do so. You can instead add that sum to the budget for new devices.
The packing process step by step
If you are still reading this, that means that you have decided to keep and move your devices. Ok, your goal is that they arrive at their destination in one piece. In order to do that, you have to pack them properly. Here’s how to do it:
- Shut down the device
- Unplug it from the power source
- Remove all other cables
- Remove any batteries, toner cartridges
- Pack cables separately
- Do not wrap cables too tightly
- Pack cables in a separate box and write the name of the corresponding device (printer, scanner…)
- Use the original box if you still have to pack the device
- If that’s not the case use a cardboard box that is not too big or too small
- Wrap the device with protective materials
- Use packing tape to additionally secure that first layer of protection
- Place the device inside of a cardboard box
- Fill out any leftover gaps with soft materials such as clothes
- The device must be firmly positioned so it cannot move during transport
- Label the box with the name of the device
- Add “fragile” label as well
A few unpacking tips
Moving is not over when you arrive at your destination. Now you have to unpack and reassemble everything again. Fortunately, we know a few tips that will make the post-move organization much easier.
- Unpack one device at a time. Start with devices that take the most time to reassemble or those that have the most cables.
- Do not unpack other cables yet. Try to avoid making a mess. Especially if you forgot to label the cables before the move.
- Use guidance. You can use user manuals, photos, or follow the patterns on colored pins and dots.
- Test the device to see if it works.
Ok, these were some basic tips for moving IT equipment. Follow our advice closely, and you will have no problems with this task. Good luck!
Movers Toronto were our movers. They were on time, fast, saved us a lot of money and were very careful and respectful. My wife and I have used a lot of moving companies over the years and believe me, these guys are not only the best value out there, you can trust them.